I know, I know - you're not supposed to be serious on a Friday. But this is important. As you probably already know, Team Tutu Hot to Handle (my Reach the Beach team) is committed to raising critical funds to research and increase awareness for Alzheimer's.
What you may not know is why we so desperately need your help. Here are just a few reasons, some of which might shock you:
- As many as 5.4 million people in the United States are living with Alzheimer's. That means that you probably know someone who is impacted by this disease.
- Every 70 seconds, someone develops Alzheimer's.
- On average, patients with Alzheimer’s disease live for 8 to 10 years after they are diagnosed. Alzheimer's disease is always fatal. It can last as long as 20 years, and always ends in death.
- The annual cost of caring for one Alzheimer's patient is between $18,400 and $36,100, depending how advanced the disease is.
- The average cost for the illness from diagnosis to death is $174,000, the third most expensive disease in the United States.
- The care of an Alzheimer’s patient, viewed as custodial care, is not covered by Medicare and most health insurance plans.
Guys, we HAVE to find a cure. The good news is that you - YES YOU - can make a difference!
If you haven't signed up for my Run for the Memory Virtual Run/Walk for Alzheimer's, it's not too late! Your participation will help me reach my personal goal of $4,000 raised for Alzheimer's research (I've raised over $1,900 so far!) and you'll also get a pretty sweet finisher koozy!
It's easy to sign up - simply follow the steps below!
Your $25 registration fee is a 100% tax deductible donation to the MA/NH Chapter of the Alzheimer's Association. You'll receive an emailed receipt for your records and tax purposes.
In order to ship your finisher's koozy, you'll need to officially register for the #Run4TheMemory Virtual 5k/10k. You'll select which distance you'll be completing for the Virtual Race and provide your shipping information here.
Download the race bib HERE and complete your 5k/10k by 7/14 (and remember, it's always more fun with a group, so tell your friends!). Once you're done, be sure to log your results!
If you're feeling photogenic, send me a picture after you've finished at 7sevenj9 at gmail dot com!